Just a note for future research. What can we learn from liberal arts colleges, in terms of:
- their founding, original mission and early history
- their creation of intentional, residential communities for education
- their emphasis on the pastoral and pedagogical relationship between teacher and student
- their decline or gradual conversion to offer ‘professional’ degrees
- their variety and emphasis on locale and community
- their institutional form (i.e. size, governance, mission, financing)
- their deliberate emphasis on an anti-disciplinary education that combines the arts, natural and physical sciences.